Valley Forge, PA
Senior Buyer – CHEMICALS
The Senior Buyer – Chemicals will serve as the key sourcing executive for a significant part of Houghton’s business. He or she will be required to lead and manage an annual strategic raw material spend of $20-30mm on chemicals including Additives and Surfactants . He or she will be skilled at delivering results to the business, while mitigating risk. This is a highly strategic role, but will still require the tactical skills to deliver bottom line results.
- The Senior Buyer – Chemicals will serve as the key sourcing executive for a significant part of Houghton’s business. He or she will be required to lead and manage an annual spend of $20-30mm on chemical commodities including Additives and Surfactants . He or she will be skilled at delivering results to the business, while mitigating risk. This is a highly strategic role, but will still require the tactical skills to deliver results in the procurement function.
- Develop/own key supplier relationships based on assigned categories and monitors global implementation of accounts. Develop Strategic Accounts Plans and hold quarterly supplier & management meetings.
- Work closely with Business Unit leadership/Functional Leadership to set objectives for categories and agree on how value will be measured and delivered.
- Responsible for all elements of commodity management for designated spend categories, including: strategic understanding of the supply market place, pricing and term negotiations, preparation and analysis of Regional bid proposals/packages (RFQ’s), supplier selection, negotiation and communication with users across plants and business units.
- Provides subject matter expertise regarding commercial and technology market/trends so as to advise internal users of the categories (materials ) and generate cost savings and value to bottom line.
- Work closely with Marketing/R&D for upstream interaction on procurement of new products and develops and maintains global and regional contracts that are sound commercially and provide optimum protection of company assets.
- With support of business unit staff, manages contracting, tactical and transactional activity for assigned categories across multiple sites/plants in accordance with approved processes and policies.
- Interacting with counterparts worldwide, with similar chemical commodity portfolio, to leverage spend.
Bachelor’s degree required, preferably a Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering or Chemistry, Advanced degree (MBA) preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience (chemicals, petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals) required. Solid functional experience in Procurement, Sales or Marketing, Manufacturing or Business Management preferred.
- Must possess strong business acumen, an executive presence, and the communication skills to influence multiple levels of the organization.
- Proficiency in English language required.
- Minimum 7 years in a sourcing function, specifically focused on chemical commodities.
- Proven track record of reducing cost and delivering saving with P& L impact on a regional scale.
- Strong analytical and Excel skills
- Proven exposure to C-Level contacts within and outside company
ABOUT HOUGHTON INTERNATIONAL, INC.: Houghton serves the metalworking, automotive, and steel industries–and a variety of other markets–with the development, production and management of the highest-quality specialty chemicals, oils, and lubricants. Our value proposition provides innovative and sustainable solutions designed to help customers improve productivity, reduce costs and minimize risks. With a singular focus on customer satisfaction we solve the toughest technical challenges and support diverse and widespread customer operations with a global network of fluids experts delivering innovative technologies, chemistries and high performing products. Houghton takes environment stewardship and social responsibility seriously as we conscientiously strive to develop renewable, sustainable products through innovation and process improvement.
PHYSICAL JOB REQUIREMENTS: The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EEO STATEMENT: It is Houghton International’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Houghton International will also provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. This employer participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.
For more information and to apply, please go to: