Conducts exploratory and applied research leading to the production of commercial products suitable as performance additives for coatings. Works with manager to conceive, organize, and execute experiments to develop new chemical compositions and mixtures, or offsets to existing competitive products. Develops and optimizes processes, then transfers resulting procedures to Engineering for piloting and commercial manufacture. Establishes specifications and physical test requirements for new products. Conducts studies on the relative performance of products to competitive materials and other experiments to aid in the development of sales tools for Performance Additive products.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIEENCE:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry required; Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience developing Performance Additives required.
- Experience with polymer synthesis preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in developing pigment dispersants, wetting agents and defoamers required, experience in developing rheology modifiers for waterborne systems optional.
- Develops functional and direct offsets to competitive Performance Additives.
- Synthesizes new compositions of matter and blends unique mixtures of chemicals leading to the development of new products for Performance Additives Business Unit
- Develops formulas, processes, techniques, and methods for solutions to technical problems that affect the marketability of various products
- Conducts complete physical and chemical data of newly developed products including stability, and freeze-thaw experiments
- Conducts research on products such as paints, coatings, adhesives, caulks, sealants to determine new commercial applications
- Ensures compliance with safety regulations; responsible for proper disposal of chemical wastes.
- Records and communicates all developed data verbally to supervisor and in technical reports for a broader audience
- Keeps abreast of scientific and competitive information in order to maintain state of the art knowledge in fields associated with the new product development activities
- Evaluates new and/or alternate raw materials for existing and newly developed products
- Prepares technology transfer documents
SUPERVISION GIVEN AND RECEIVED:
Works under general management direction. Takes independent action and receives limited guidance on technical or professional aspects of job duties.
Director, Product Development and Innovation
WORKS CLOSELY WITH:
MEASURES OF PERFORMANCE:
Number of new products developed.
- Number of invention disclosures submitted that lead to patent applications.
- Timely completion of monthly progress reports, final project report, and associated technology transfer documents
- Complete maintenance and accuracy of data in notebook.
If interested, please contact:
Jess Stinson, CEO
Century Global Executive Search, LLC
610-874-1986 (W/HO)~ 610-291-1914 (cell) ~ firstname.lastname@example.org~